Thursday, February 17, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training

Last week I had the brilliant idea that it was time to start potty training our older son, who turned 2 in December.  Yes, right after we brought home a new baby, I thought his life needed to change even more.  So smart!  Well, it didn't go very well...

He was VERY excited at first.  We read books and talked about it for days.  We have had a little Elmo potty for a few months and he has actually used it once or twice before, but it had been gathering dust (literally), so I figured it was time to buckle down and do this for real!  We went to Target and bought some big boy undies~ he was excited about the Mickey Mouse kind, and he proudly tried them on when we got home.  The next morning was the big day.  I took him out of his diaper and put him in just the undies, which looked super cute on his little tush.... I had him sit on the potty every 30 minutes on the dot, but of freaking course my timing was off and he peed in the undies.  He did make a very puzzled look as he was doing it, so I knew what was happening.  I scooped him up, ran to the potty, pulled down the very wet undies, sat him on the pot.... and maybe two drops came out.  I still went nuts with excitment and praised him and told him he did a great job.

We kept up the 30 minute schedule and wouldn't you know it- he actually peed in the potty one of those times!!  He also peed on the carpet, the couch, the tile, etc. etc., soooo I wasn't that pumped. We were on undies pair # 5 by nap time, so I put him in a diaper to sleep in.  When he woke up, we tried again, and I got one more successful potty trip.  After that, it was all downhill.... He absolutely did not want to sit on that potty for one more second.  He was totally over the novelty of the undies and didn't even care about how cool the flushing sound was anymore.  I even tried bringing the little potty out in front of the tv and letting him sit on it while watching a movie (a real treat!), and still nothing.

I finally threw in the towel when he took off his big boy undies and tried to flush them down the toilet.  He then paraded around the entire house, naked, marching and punching his arm in the air, chanting/singing, "No pee pee in the potty, no pee pee in the potty!!!"

Soooooo no more potty training for us.  I don't know what I was thinking taking on this project with a newborn at home.  I just loved the idea of only having one in diapers I guess!!  We will try again in a few months.  I guess two and a half is average for boys anyway.  Sigh..... size 6 diapers, here we come!

2 comments:

  1. Ok so I noticed that your little one loves tv just like one of my children. We used the TV to help potty train our second child. I blogged about it http://djpeach.blogspot.com/2009/02/tackle-it-tuesday.html

    It didn't work for my daughter because she doesn't like to watch tv, but who knows maybe it will help your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great!! Thank you for the link!! :)

    ReplyDelete